Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jon Hamm Opens Up About His Battle Depression

There's very little for Jon Hamm to feel bad about right now: he's bilssfully happy with longtime girlfriend Jennifer Westfeldt, he's on one of the most celebrated shows on television (Mad Men), and he's starring the number one movie in the country (The Town).
But, it hasn't always been an easy journey for the 39-year-old actor. In an interview with the UK's Observer, Hamm talks about how he was deeply affected by the loss of both of his parents at a young age (his mother died of stomach cancer when he was  10-years-old and his father passed away ten years later.) 
"I struggled with chronic depression. I was in bad shape," he said, adding, "I did do therapy and antidepressants for a brief period, which helped me. Which is what therapy does: it gives you another perspective when you are so lost in your own spiral. It helps."
So did antidepressants work for him? Hamm said, "Antidepressants help! If you can change your brain chemistry enough to think: 'I want to get up in the morning; I don't want to sleep until four in the afternoon. I want to get up and go do my s*** and go to work and…' Reset the auto-meter, kick-start the engine!"
He also found support from friends and family. "I was very fortunate to have really good friends in my life whose parents sort of rallied: 'We're gonna help this kid out, because otherwise there's going to be trouble.'", the Golden Globe winner shared. He also credits work and the "structured environment" of school helped get him through his darkest period.
Have you battled with and overcome depression? What helped you with the struggle? Chime in below.

Ray Charles Richard Cheney Richard Nixon Rosa Parks Ronald Regan

No comments:

Post a Comment